St. Patrick's Parish – Finance Committee –29th May 2018
Present: Canon Dan Crowley, Bernard Forde, John Keating, Pat Lane and Aonghus O'Broin.
Apologies: Georgina O'Donovan and Kitty O'Sullivan
The minutes of the meeting of the 23rd January were agreed.
2. Update from Holy Family Church
- The wall above the archway looks better as the loose paint has been removed. It will be quite some time before the wall will be dry enough for painting. It will be kept under review.
- The advice received is the boilers are not adequate for the work expected of them. They have been serviced and we agreed to adopt a wait and see approach.
- Dampness is apparent on the Southern wall. We need to examine the gutters and consider the option of external cladding of a section.
- The stained glass damaged by the storm has been temporarily repaired.
- Batteries had to be replaced in the emergency lights. It was agreed to arrange a survey of the electrical system.
3. Update from St. Patrick's Church
- The roofs on the outhouses at the rear of the Presbyteries are in poor condition. No's 3 & 4 need to be repaired.
- Four sections of the roof of the Sacristy are to be repaired. The estimated cost is €2.5k
- No1 the Presbytery is unoccupied. We have made the building habitable. The external and internal plasterwork needs major work. The estimated costs of all work is €8,000.
- A stand will be provided giving details of the figures portrayed in the stained glass. Pat is working on this.
- Some emergency work has been done on the external roof and walls of the Hall. More is required at an estimated cost of €3k.
- Storm windows have been installed to protect the stained glass windows.
- The chutes on the presbytery roofs need to be cleared.
4. Weekly envelope system
The income from the envelopes to the end of April is €7,992 which is similar to the same period in 2017. A tax refund (in respect of donations in 2017) of €15,525 has been requested, of which €8,825 has been received to date. The five-year enduring certificates will be out of date for most people after 2017 and participants have been issued with new certs for approval.
A reduced number of boxes for 2019 have been ordered. We agreed to make an appeal from the altar on the on the weekend of the 2nd and 16 th of December. The selling of Christmas cards will be organized earlier to avoid having both taking place simultaneously.
5. Parish Accounts
A report was circulated on the accounts for Jan-April 2018. See report for details. On 30th April the parish bank account has a balance of €55,521. We agreed not to let the balance drop below €30,000. Work will not be entered into if it would cause the balance to fall below this limit. Special fundraising arrangements would need to be put in place for any work that would in this cathegory.
6. Major Building Maintenance Work Program 2018
The status of the work identified is:
Paint archway – when wall is fully dry (€3,000)
Repair Sacristy roof - €2,500
Remove the infill behind the Mortuary.
Clean away phosphorescence on internal walls and make good painting.
Rear sheds in progress
Plaster repair of No1 (€8,000).
Roof and downpipe repairs – estimated €3,000.
Note: we have spent €9,070 on building maintenance in four months. At this rate we will exceed our budget before the winter.
7. Fundraising and Cost Reduction
So far we added 3 plaques. The candle cards are selling well (€212), more have been ordered. The concert raised €2,325, well done to all concerned. The missing static boxes have been found and will be brought into use. They need to be checked on a regular basis. So far they have raised €110. Canon Dan and Georgina will select the Christmas cards for 2018. We propose to start selling cards early in November and on one Sunday 9 th of December.
Our planned activities for the rest of 2018 include plaques (1/month), Static Boxes, Candle Cards, Concert?, Christmas Cards and a raffle. The lead role for each is: Plaques / static boxes - John, Candle / Christmas cards – Aonghus, Concert – Pat Lane, Raffle – Georgina, Quiz – Kitty. We have raised €718 so far, excluding the concert. This is an excellent contribution to parish funds. Well done to all.
We had a long discussion on the need for cost reduction. Payroll represents 40% of Parish costs. Aonghus agreed to generate proposals for consideration on how this might be reduced by at least 10%.
8. Any Other Business
The next scheduled meeting date for 2018 is Tuesday 11th December. We agreed we will have an additional meeting in September on Tuesday 18th .
15th June 2018