SeptemberRoof Repair Works
August 'Crowleys Music Centre'
August 'St. Patricks 1902'
August 'USA Pilgrims'
St. Luke's Cross works & Lr. Glanmire Rd Bridge
'A sense of Humour'
Hearse at St.
All Change at Kent Station
Lower Road Residents Object
St. Patrick's Hospital and Marymount Hospice
Mary Claire McCarthy Success
Cork Person of the Year
Parish on Up and Up
The .Knitting Map
Country . .Club Sold
Parish Con .Confirmation
An Post Stamp
Country Club Developments
Results of Easter Draw
Congratulations to All
||Pale Green 36 - 40
||Cream 211 - 215
||Black Label Whiskey (Johnnie Walker)
||Yellow 281 - 285
||Blue 71 - 75
||Bottle of Port
||Pale Green 356 - 360
||Wine & Toiletries
||Yellow 316 - 320
||Wine & Toiletries
||Pink 121 - 125
||Voucher & Hair Spray
||White 76 - 80
||Basket of Flowers
||Yellow 536 - 540
La Feile Naomh Padraig - i - Corcaigh 2014
Welcome to Cork - The Rebel Country
Ambassador Hotel changes hands
The Irish Examiner, in it's review of hotel sales in the Cork area reports that the Ambassador Hotel has been sold to the Dublin based firm of McGettingans for 1.5 million euro. This hotel is a popular venue the the Holy Family Church parishiones for such events as Christmas Parties etc.
Roof Repair Works, St. Patrick's Church
Space between Main Altar outerwall and quarried rockface
Void under failed roof showing original hardwood timber lattice work which holds the plaster behind the Sacred Heart alcove
Our hardworking multi-tasking Secretary, Aonghus, inspects the work.
Night scene at St. Luke's Church during the Le Chat Noir's Chronicle of Cinematic Fashion on 12th. Oct. 2013
Crowley Music Centre, McCurtin St., (within the Parish)
Not only Cork or National but International music lovers are mourning the closure of the Crowley Music Centre, https://www.facebook.com/CrowleysMusic this month
After 78 years in business Sheeha Crowley explained that not only did this iconic Cork enterprise supply the first guitar to Rory Gallagher but they also " supplied instruments to The Horslips, Joe Herlihy who became U2's soundman used to work for us and he used to ring up looking for certain guitars for The Edge, and Christy Moore used to ask my father to get certain types of guitar for him.”
Thank you Crowley family for your great service to the City of Cork
Recently found photograph of St. Patrick's Church believed to be about 1902. Note the tram electric poles and cables along the centre of Glanmire Rd. and the tram as it goes over the present railway bridge. This tram would have have continued on the Silverspring/Tivoli area. Snow was on the ground at the time and apart from the three sidecarts, everyone was walking. Note also the large stone Celtic Cross in the lower right hand corner (where is it now) and also the horse trough which is possibly the trough relocated to the corner of Ship St. (see this trough further along in 'Parish Snippets'
(click on picture for larger version, note the person on the ladder to the left of the Celtic Cross)
A group of young Pilgrims of the Neocatechumenal Way Communities from Colorado and Wyoming who visited with us on 16th. August. Picture taken on a sunny day in Patrick St. by Jose Alvarez
Eve Night at St. Luke's Cross 2010
Photo - Click)
Steeplejack pointing the stonework on the Presbyterian Trinity Church at lower
Summerhill on a beautiful October morning (12.10.2010)
annual Mass at St. Patrick's Church in rememberance of Irish
their lives while on United Nations duties in various parts of the World
Raymond, with Colour Party, Eugene Murphy, Jimmy Cotter and Pat Culleton
Liam greets Cork Lord Mayor Councillor Dara Murphy
Corcoran with Mayor Dara Murphy
Lane gets on with the job of selling the Christmas Cards while Pat Lane chats
storage point at St. Luke's Cross. Cork City Council provided over 50
points throughout North Cork City, operated by the Council staff during
the times 06.00 to24.00
daily. The speed of providing these points have
lauded by some 18,000 persons who have been left without household
since the 20th.November 2009, as a result of the flooding of the
pumping station at the begining of the'Straight Road'
+Bishop John Buckley , announced (28th. Oct.), five new members of the Cathedral
Chapter (in existence since 1180), who will hold the title Canon to include our
own Fr. Dan Crowley PP.
Congratulations Canon Dan from your St. Patrick's Parish flock.
new Cork-Swansea Ferry docks at Penrose Quay (within the Parish) prior to its
refit and commencing service in March 2010. The new line will be known as the
'Fastnet Line', see also
Presbyteries Clean -Up
grounds in front of and around the Presbyteries were recently given a much needed
make over with rejuvinated lawns, planters and gravelled areas. And all of this
was carried voluntary by Parish stalwards Paddy Lane and his son Barry - parishioners
and clergy say a big ''Well Done and Thanks'
Hearse outside St. Patrick's Church circa 1900s..........................................or
astute observer will have noticed the modern lampstandard, road markings and clean
tarmacadam surface, hardly 1900's.
photograph was taken during this past week of a
taking place at St. Patrick's Church.
hearse was built by Dottridge of London in 1882 for Messrs Goode on the Marsh,
Cork, a Quaker undertaking firm who used it for their own community, they were
also Job Masters, i.e. they subletted their services with this hearse.
is believed that the hearse subsequently went to Cronins Undertakers before the
second world war and from there to an Undertaking firm in NewcastleWest, Limerick
present owner purchased and totally restored the hearse about 1971 and is now
used as a 'hobby', it being put into service perhaps two to three times yearly
on request. There are only three such hearse in use in Ireland at present, however
the other two are modern reproductions.
hearse is drawn by Carriage Horses known as Dutch Geldlanders, these horses are
bred for the purpose.
Luke's Cross upgrading works to get under way shortly
the absence of overhead power wires
works on St Lukes Church looking down Mahony's Avenue
Change at Kent Station
Automatic Ticket Collection Machine
Money Change Machine
Letter Post Box circa 1860 (Still used)
Internet Centre (one of two available)
Telephone Outlets (one of two)
Nov. 2006 Lower
Road Residents Object
an oral hearing held under the auspices of the Railway Public Order Inquiry Office
the residents from the Lower Glanmire Road expressed strong opposition to a proposal
from Iarnrod Eireann to build a new €10 million flyover bridge to access
the homes at Myrtle Hill Terrace and Bellview Villas.
the residents of both areas insisted that existing level crossings would be adequate
to allow them cross the track.
O'Neill, of Myrtle Hill said Iarnrod Eireann seemed confused over their plans
because while they had initially said the new bridge was necessary, they suggested
to residents just two weeks ago that they would automate the existing level crossing
as an alternative.
Dominic Creedon, Solicitor for the residents pointed out that the houses existed
some 30 years before the railway line was laid down in the 1860's and that the
right of access to the houses was not a private right but a statutory right which
could not be extinguished.
also strongly objected to the visual impact of the proposed flyover bridge.
Friday, 10th. April 2009
bridge was lifted into place during a 24 hour road closure on this day. The need
for this bridge is to facilitate the increased commutor rail traffic when the
Cork/Middleton service commences in June of this year.
west (towards the city)
Patrick's Hospital and Marymount Hospice
Kevin O'Dwyer, Chief Executive, announced today that Planning Permission has been
received for the relocation of this highly respected Institution (within the heart
of St. Patrick's Parish) to a greenfield site in Bishopstown.
established in 1870, with a chapel dedicated to the Holy Ghost presented by Miss
Isabella Honan under the care of the Sisters of Charity in 1909, and a specialised
pallitive care unit developed in 1980, has served Cork people with distinction
all through the years.
new Hospital and Hospice will cost €52 million and it is expected that the
new Institution will come into service at the end of 2008.
Parish on Up and Up
permission has been sought for the demolishion of all existing properties on the
site bounded by Lr. Glamire Rd., Brian Boru St., Ship St. and the river frontage
on St. Patrick's Quay, with the exception of stone structures on this quay, and
the erection of a massive 6/4 level development on the site.
development, comprising office accommodation on all elevations with the exception
of retail outlets on the ground floor of the Lr. Glanmire Rd. facade, will provide
a gross area of 14,084 m2 and is estimated to cost in the region of €100m.
in the development will be a double decked underground car park for 216 cars and
50 bicycles, accessed from Ship St.
is a strong rumour that the Offices of the Revenue Commissioners is likely to
acquire a major portion of the Office Accommodation.
will be the first of the proposed super developments on the North Side quays,
all of which are part of St. Patrick's Parish.
Cork Person of the Year
the Rochestown Park Hotel on Friday, 27th January, UCC's Emeritus Professor of
Irish History, John A. Murphy was selected as Cork Person of the Year, congratulations
John. The clergy and parishioners of St. Patrick's and in particular the community
associated with Roche's Buildings Social and Resource Centre are proud of St.
Patricia's achievement and are eternally indebted to her for her work.
COPE Foundation Opening
afternoon, the COPE Foundation, Montenotte officially opened its new developments
in furthering their care for the intellectually impared in our community. The
ceremony commenced with a blessing by Canon Liam Leader followed by a viewing
of the facilities and concluded with speeches by Mrs. Maura Nash, Chief Executive,
and Mr. William H. O'Sullivan, Chairperson. The new facilities include a Dining
Hall with seating capacity for 120 diners, a state-of-the- art Kitchen and nine
new 'hotel quality' Bedsits for the elderly. The kitchens, capable of producing
700 main meals includes in its equipment a glycol refrigeration unit. Despite
being on a sloping site all areas of the facility are wheelchair accessable. The
Dining Hall is called 'Heatherlee', spontanously named in memory a former West
Cork holiday home of the O'Sullivan family. At a cost of 8.5 million, these new
facilities are most deserving to those who are in need of 'a best quality of life'
The Knitting Map - A World Record ?
part of Cork's year as European Capital of Culture, the Half /Angel Production
Company are engaged in the production of the worlds largest knitted textile. The
exhibition of this work is on-going in the basement of the former Church of Ireland
church at St. Luke's Cross, within St. Patrick's Parish. The pattern for the work
is based on a computerised matrix developed from the movement of people in Cork
City and the daily weather. Knitting will continue until 31st. December 2005 and
then the promoters will submit the work as a Guinness World Record. Further details
of this project can be found at www.knitting.ie
Club Hotel Developments
has been reported that having received it's planning permission (see article below)
Club Hotel has
been sold for a figure of 6 million euro. The new owners are John Gatley of Vienna
Wood Hotel, Frankie Whelehan of the Clarion Group Hotels and a Clare based businessman,
Noel Conlon. The Country Club had been in the ownership of developer Pearse Moore
for more than thirty years and was a popular night club during the seventies.
Lr. Glanmire Rd. Annual General Meeting
following is a report on the Lr. Glanmire Road Residents annual General
Meeting which took place this pm in St. Patrick's Parish Hall;
by Alderman Maureen Quill, also present Noel Flynn TD and Councellor John Kelleher.
Chairperson ...........Margaret Corcoran
Vice Chairperson....Angela Moynihan
Treasurers...............Nancy Harrington .......................................................
Committee................Jerry Spillane, John Dineen, Mary Hackett, Gemma Staunton,
Muriel Joy, Betty O'Donoghue, Jo Coffey, Ann Meaney
Party on 5th December was very successful, a cheque of € 3000 was presented
for the party, also € 25,000 from the developers of the Arcadia for the inconvenience
during the construction period
Community Garda Michael Lucy was promoted and transferred to Douglas, a presentation
was made to him after the AGM
the previous Sunday afternoon a party was held in the Gresham Metrepole Hotel
with lunch at 1 pm, music and entertainment for the afternoon, tea and sandwiches
at 6 pm with dancing until 7 pm. A great days entertainment was enjoyed by the
82 persons who attended, it all being on foot of the € 3000 mentioned above.
The Residents Association are presently objecting to the high rise appartment
block proposed at McMahons Timber Yard, off Water Street. This development would
be 17 floors high and contain some 300+ appartments
Association consider that they have been plagued for the past three years with
planning permissions for example,
across from the Station (22 apartments)
below Arcadia, (12 x 2 bedroom appartments)
next to Woburn, (13 Apartments)
Lr. Road', (7 appartments)
Super Draw will take place on St. Patrick's Day, the Restoration Committee hope
to raise €100,00
St. Patrick's Church was
thronged with Parishioners this am to witness 74 young adults receive the Sacrament
of Confirmation. Fifty boys and twenty four girls from Scoil Eanna, Scoil Muire,
Christian Brothers College and St. Lukes, made their vows and then moved to the
altar to be confirmed by Archbishop Thomas White. Canon Liam Leader PP, Fr. Christy
O'Shaughnessy and Fr. Declan Kidney assisted the Archbishop in the concelebrated
the conclusion Canon Leader thanked the Archbishop for coming out of retirement
to officiate at this important celebration of young life. He praised the parents
and friends of the young people, the teachers of the various schools who prepared
the children, the children themselves for their orderly presence. He reminded
them that they were now in fact young adults who would face difficulties in the
years to come particularly in these troubled times. He likened their journey to
those travellers of past times who left the safety of Cobh and ventured out into
the dangers of the Atlantic in order to reach the New World.
the teachers present who kept order on the events were Denis Lenihan and Susan
Lane, both from the Christian Brothers College.................further
details to follow
An Post Stamp
newly renovated St Patrick's Church features
among prominent Cork landmarks in a special 2005 commemorative stamp produced
by An Post. Just in time for Patrick's Day, the new stamp will be seen on mail
from Beijing to Beirut, from Boston to Buenos Aires, and perhaps even further.
Collins Barracks Museum
the 2nd. March will mark a new chapter in the history of
This impressive garrison situated within and on the northern boundry of St. Patrick's
Parish will open it's doors to the public and proudly display its newly refurbished
Military Museum.The Barracks, established over 200 years ago was originally known
simply as the Cork Barracks but on the death of Queen Victoria in 1901 it was
named Victoria Barracks. It was further renamed to Collins Barracks following
the death of Michael Collins in 1922. The Barracks was designed to accomodate
156 officers, 1994 uncommissioned soldiers and stables for 252 horses. Over the
years the Barracks has played host to many illustrious persons including the former
US President, John F Kennedy. The €400,000 refurbishment project had been
spearheaded by Comdt. Dan Harvey over the past 15 years. Comdt. Harvey is particularly
proud of the Museums new centrepiece dedicated to Michael Collins. This section
contains many items of Collins' memorabilia and personal effects, including his
Rosary beads. The Military Museum is the Defence Forces contribution to Cork's
European Capital of Culture 2005 and is open to the public on Mondays, Wednesdays
and Fridays from 10 am to 1 pm,......... all are welcome.
Kind Permission of Cork Independent and Billy
Ciaran Murphy, Head of Business Information Systems UCC presenting a cheque for
€1000 to Mary Claire McCarthy from Sydney Parade, Wellington Road (within
the Parish), in recognition of achieving the highest number of points in the Leaving
Certificate for any female UCC applicant. Mary Claire is a past pupil of Scoil
Country Club Hotel, Montenotte, where many Parish
related activities such as Christmas Parties, Weddings etc. take place, are planning
exciting developments according to their Planning Application posted on the 22nd.
The proposed development comprises 18 number Executive Suites,
19 number short term Holiday Units of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom capacities, a Swimming
Pool and Leisure facility , all complete with semi-underground car parking.
When completed, this could ideally provide for returning parishioners who may
wish to spend some time in the Parish while on holidays.
Cultural Enterprise |
A small band of artists have fully embraced Cork's
mantle of European City of Cultural by their taking over' of the derelict
former School of Music on the Wellington Road in the heart of the Parish. The
three storey red bricked building has lain vacant and abandoned by the owners,
Cork Institute of Technology, (who have their own difficulties getting the proposed
new €50m School of Music off the ground) for the past 13 years.
of adventurous squatters', known as One Day a Week' comprise painters,
sculptors, photographers, wood and metal ornamentalists etc., who hope by their
skills to turn the various spaces into workable studios. Each One Day' member
contributes €100 per month towards the renovations, and two of their members
remain overnight to protect their investment while awaiting the outcome of negotiations
with the CIT bosses.
Cork's Cultural Enterprise is alive and well and living
in Wellington Road, ....... at least pro tem.
Arcadia update, see Arcadia
on Home Page
Sense of Humour !!
the 17th. of January last, a property wall adjoining Lovers Walk collapsed and
as a result, the City Council deemed the continued use of Lovers Walk by walkers
or road traffic as being dangerous and closed the road with the erecting of a
metal fence across the road.
closure of the road has caused considerable inconvenience to locals and other
road users. Local news reports have indicated that there is a dispute between
the resident concerned and the City Council.
signs were positioned at the entrances/exits to Lovers Walk and also at intervals
along the road. All of these signs stated 'No Through Road'. However, in frustation
or simply humour, to emphasise the long delay in the closure of this road, someone
decorated one of the signs with weed from the ajoining wall resulting as below.
Home Developments by the COPE Foundation
COPE Foundation has recently applied for Planning Permission for the Refurshment
and Development Works at the former Honan Home on Lover's Walk.
Works will consist of the following,
the refurishment of the Honan Home (protected structure) to incorporate day care
services for the elderly, the demolition of existing sheds to the rere thereof,
and the construction of an extension at the rere of the Honan Home building incorporating
2 no. 4 bedroom apartments, 2 no. 2 bedroom apartments, and 2 no. 1 bedroom apartments
for the elderly, the extension being linked at first floor level to the rere of
the Honan Home building.
for the demolition of existing 10 no. chalet type housing units at the eastern
side of the site, and for the construction of 1 no. single storey block and a
1 no. two storey block of sheltered housing incorporating a total of 27 single
bed residential units for the elderly, and
for the construction of an internal private access road directly connecting the
Honan Home premises with the COPE Foundation's existing internal road network
of its Beech Hill premises situated immediately to the rere of the Honan Home.
COPE Foundation ( a charitable organisation) is to be congratulated on this inititive,
the provision of additional facilities to its large network of premises dedicated
to the care and welfare of the disabled must be welcomed by all.